Glamorgan Sausage Rolls
Cooking time: 20 minutes
This recipe features in the 'To the Chef Collection', a feast of tasty seasonal recipes brought to you by Caple. Available to buy online here
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the onions and 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a small pan over a medium heat. When you can hear the onions frying, turn the heat right down and cook them for about
30 minutes to caramelise, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and the thyme and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Place the pan over a high heat and stir the onions until any water has evaporated.
Put the onions in a bowl; add the rest of the ingredients and one of the eggs and mix
well to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and then use your hands to roll the mix into 2 sausage
shapes about 3–4cm wide.
- Lay them out on a tray and chill for 20 minutes to firm up. Unroll the pastry and cut in
half lengthwise. Lay the cheese mix along the pastry, slightly off centre, and brush with
beaten egg along the edge of the pastry closest to the filling.
- Roll the pastry over to form 2 long sausage roll shapes and crimp one edge with a fork to seal. Cut each length into 5 small sausage rolls [or 3 larger ones] and score the tops
with a knife.
- Place the sausage rolls on a baking sheet and brush with the remaining egg.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.