When Dave the Scallop Diver came through the Pony door, Josh and our Head Chef at the time, Jack Read, knew it was time to make something different - childhood inspiration took over and Scallop Pops were created.
Have a go and make sure to share your most delicious photos with us on Twitter @theponyandtrap.
- Wash the scallops and dry well with a cloth.
- Lay the thinly sliced bacon on a chopping board and turn the scallop on its side. Roll and wrap the bacon carefully around the scallop and pin through the centre, horizontally, with a cocktail stick to hold the bacon in place. Repeat for each scallop.
- Heat a frying pan with a small amount of vegetable oil, season the scallops well. Once the pan is hot, sear the scallops on the bacon covered sides. The scallops will take longer to cook as they are insulated by the bacon, which also needs to cook.
- Once the bacon is cooked, flip the scallops onto one of their exposed sides for 30 seconds. Flip to cook on the other exposed side and add the butter.
- Baste the scallops in the butter until cooked. This should take no longer than 4-5 minutes - scallops are cooked when you prod them and receive a little resistance, if they are still soft - continue to cook.
- Once cooked, drain on parchment paper. Remove the cocktail stick, hold the bacon in place and insert the skewer through the scallop. Repeat for each scallop pop. Season and serve immediately.